3.9.15

Granny Flower Square - The Pattern!

If you read this blog since the first year (thanks for putting up with me all that time!) you might remember this blanket, It's one of my first crocheted blankets. I finished it almost three years ago. As you can see my palette has changed a bit since then, nevertheless I still like the blanket. It has exactly that seventies vibe I was after.

byHaafner, crochet, granny flower square, blanket, vintage


Recently my eyes fell upon it and I thought it might be a good idea to write the pattern down. Mind you, only for the squares. The border is not my pattern so not mine to share and unfortunately I can't find the source anymore, I believe it was a Portuguese magazine.

byHaafner, crochet, granny flower square, blanket, vintage, pattern




























The pattern


Remarks beforehand
- You can either start a new round by chaining 2 (as a substitute dc) or – and that’s definitely my recommendation! – by making a standing double crochet. With the latter you can't tell afterwards where you started the round.
- The pattern calls for a join at the end of each round. My preferred method is to make a seamless join using a blunt needle. Alternatively you can slipstitch in the first stitch of the round.
- I used a 4 mm hook and I made 285 squares in total. Each square measures 10x10 cm (appr. 4x4 inch).

byHaafner, crochet, granny flower square, blanket, vintage
































To start
Magic circle or chain 5 and join with a slipstitch to create a ring

Round 1
*1 dc in ring, ch 1*, repeat between * * 11 x, join

Round 2
*2 dc in ch1-sp, ch 1*, repeat between * * 11 x, join

Round 3
*3 dc in ch1-sp, ch 1*, repeat between * * 11 x, join

Round 4
Please note: The corners are worked in trebles.
*3 dc in ch1-sp, ch 1, 3 dc in ch1-sp, 3 tr in ch1-sp, ch 2, 3 tr in same space, ch 1*, repeat between * * 11 x, join. Weave in ends.

Joining the motifs
I used the join-as-you-go method for joining the motifs.

Please don't copy or share the chart elsewhere, but link to this page instead - thank you for linking with love! 


That's it!

I hope you've had a lovely week so far. Wishing you a great weekend!

32 comments:

  1. Hi, I was sailing and..............I found your blog. :)
    It's a nice place and I'm sure I will follow you.
    Have a peaceful day
    Patrizy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thank you for your kind comment!
      xHaafner

      Delete
  2. Hi, I was sailing and..............I found your blog. :)
    It's a nice place and I'm sure I will follow you.
    Have a peaceful day
    Patrizy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning!
    I just found this blog too. Love it. Thank you.
    Kisses from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria José! Glad you like it!
      Lucky you to live in beautiful Portugal...
      xHaafner

      Delete
  4. That's my kind of granny square, palette included! I never tried starting a round making a standing dc or using a needle to join, does it make a difference?
    Thanks for sharing. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words!
      Regarding your question: I personally find these techniques give a much more neat result, with a seamless join.
      xHaafner

      Delete
  5. I love it and the border is wonderful. Will you be able to provide instructions for the border to please? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna, I'm glad you like it. I'm afraid I don't have more information then provided above... I made this blanket a few years ago, and I can't recall the exact source of the border.

      Delete
    2. It seems to me that the border looks very much like the border you used for the hexie blanket. I haven't actually compared them though. I found a very similar border in "The Harmony Guide to Crocheting" by Debra Mountford

      Delete
    3. I can see why at first glance those two borders look somewhat similar as they are both big and lacy. ;-) But they are two quite different patterns though. I love making borders and I choose a different one for each of my blankets. Thanks for mentioning the book, I hadn't heard of it yet, but I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
  6. I love it and the border is wonderful. Will you be able to provide instructions for the border to please? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it and the border is wonderful. Will you be able to provide instructions for the border to please? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous crochet blanket! That's the nice thing about crochet blankets, they are a great opportunity to experiment with other colours. Thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure and thank you for your kind words!
      Have a lovely day, xh

      Delete
  9. Hi Haafner, thanks for sharing your pattern! The blanket is gorgeous and would look superb in many different colour combinations! I am very impressed by your chart as well, so neat! Is it hand drawn or computer generated? I use the Crochet Chart app from iTunes and while it is useful it's not user friendly and I can't work out how to use different colours!
    Your new blog header looks fantastic too - I love it! I hope you have a great weekend, take care Sam (betsymakes) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha,

      Your kind words about the chart made my day! It is hand drawn and I was actuallly a little bit pleased myself how it turned out. ;-) I had a fair amount of practicing recently though, so I've had something of a learning curve there. Nevertheless: I'm very happy with you mentioning the Crochet Chart app, as I have been searching for something like that in vain for quite a while now. So I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!
      Also, I'm glad you like the new header! (Just in case: Details about the designer in my previous post.)
      Wishing you a fab weekend!
      xhaafner

      Delete
  10. beautiful pattern, i would like if you give the border instruction..thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it. I'm afraid I don't have more information then provided above. I made this blanket a few years ago. The border is not my own patterns and I don't have the source for the border anymore.

      Delete
  11. It is beautiful! thanks for the pattern! I love the border! Autumn shades are very well combined. A magnificent work! have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Cristina! I'm glad you like the blanket.
      Lovely day to you, xhaafner

      Delete
  12. Such a stunning blanket - and the border, oh my, oh my: fabulous! Marianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your work,,, i just linked THIS Post to my Pinterest board "Crochet love" If this is not ok please let me know i will remove it as well as the previous post on the circle dot with pretty edging post.
    here is the link to the crochet board
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/148548487686433207/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/148548487686433202/

    With Kindness,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this blanket! I love the colours! Thanks for writing down the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The blanket and its color really look warm and comfy. Loving it alot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! I may use the pattern to create a vintage looking granny square scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog:))) kreatywniejemy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your granny square pattern was mentioned in Anabelia. I love your granny square pattern and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pattern. I crochet squares inspired by this pattern, using Drops Delight and a 3 mm hook. It makes many pretty colors in one square.I crochet 9 rounds in all.

    ReplyDelete